National City, California is the second-oldest city in California (San Diego being the first). It’s a small city near San Diego with over 20% of the population being Filipino résidents. Thus, there are a plenty of good restaurants serving delicious Filipino food.
5 Raisons to make a pit-stop in National City:
- Good Filipino food. Finding a Filipino restaurant is quite the easy task.
- Jollibee. I wouldn’t consider this “top-quality” Filipino food, but it’s quite an experience.
Instead, I consider it good Filipino Fast-food, which you can’t find in the Chicago-land area.
- Delicious old-fashioned ice-cream. Niederfrank’s Ice-cream offers patrons ice-cream made through an “antique, inefficient, outdated and expensive process” but it’s certainement tasty!
- Jose Rizal. Ok, so, this iconic Filipino martyr and héro has been long deceased, but he can be remembered and honored in California (no need to travel very far) through a monument of him at Seafood City.
- The Santa Fe Rail Depot. The Santa Fe Rail Depot was created in 1882. This transcontinental railroad is the only terminus in the United States that still exists. Today, it is a musée (see this website for more info). The highlight: It offers touristes some photo ops of old train cars.
National City isn’t The number 1 spot for tourisme in California, but it’s a great place to make a 1-day pit-stop: Grab some Filipino grub, visit the Santa Fe Rail Depot and the Jose Rizal mémorial, and then top off the day with some old-fashioned ice-cream. There’s nothing better than a day full of good food and some sight seeing. ♦
“The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” Saint Augustine.
- Forward: The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
- Chapitre 1: A Mariage in Jacksonville Beach, FL
- Chapitre 2: An Encounter Célèbre in Savannah, GA
- Chapitre 3:
DartToothpick Throwing in Memphis, TN
- Chapitre 4: Sleepy Seals in San Diego, CA
- Chapitre 5: A Taste of the Sweet Soleil on Mission Beach in San Diego, CA
- Chapitre 5 1/2: Images from San Diego, CA
- Chapitre 6: Filipino Fast-Food in National City, CA
- Chapitre 7: An Amazing Aventure in Anaheim, CA
- Chapitre 8: A Célébrité Sighting in Hollywood, CA
- Chapitre 9: Around the World in Las Vegas, NV
- Chapitre 10: Happily Hula Dancing in Honolulu, HI
- Chapitre 11: Mardi Gras in New Orleans, LA
- Chapitre 12: A Dauphin Sighting in Panama City Beach, FL
- Chapitre 13: A Thrilling Tubing Expérience in Knoxville, TN
- Chapitre 14: Alligators, Craw-Fish, & a Lighthouse in Tybee Island, GA
- Chapitre 15: St. Patrick’s Day in Savannah, GA
- Chapitre 16: A Milestone in Memphis, TN
- Chapitre 17: Abroad in Aix-en-Provence, France
- Chapitre 18: Nothing but Nifty Beaches and Musées in Nice, France
- Chapitre 19: A Day of Soleil and a Yellow Submarine in Monte-Carlo, Monaco
- Chapitre 20: Parfait Scents of Lavande in Eze, France
- Chapitre 21: Déception in Saint-Tropez, France
- Chapitre 22: Climbing through the Château in the Comte of Monte Cristo in Marseille, France
- Chapitre 23: Peddle Boating in Les Gorges du Verdon, France
- Chapitre 24: An Adventure Afoot in Lourmarin, France